Full body workouts at home are an ideal option for people who are short on time or don’t want to invest in expensive gym memberships. These exercises can make a huge difference in your workout sessions and help you achieve your desired fitness goal as long as you are consistent and strict about not only your workouts but your diet as well.
Fortunately, there are many exercises that you can easily do in your living room without the need for any free weights or other fancy equipment. All you need is enough space and a good exercise mat, and you’re good to start your full body weight exercise plan.
Full Body Workouts at Home: 5 Easy Exercises You Can Try
Here is a list of the 5 best full body exercises that you can do in your living room using only your body weight and without complicated equipment. For each exercise, try to complete at least two sets of 10 reps, with a few minutes of rest between each move.
Practice the following full-body no-equipment workout plan consistently for a few weeks to see best results:
1. Bodyweight squats
No full-body workout at home is complete without the bodyweight squat because it’s a compound exercise that targets several major muscle groups at once. This includes your hip flexors, core, gluteals, quads, adductors, hamstrings, and calves. Squats strengthen your upper and lower core muscles, thus reducing your risk of injury and enhancing your overall strength and athletic ability.
To do a bodyweight squat:
- Stand up straight with your feet hip-width apart and your core muscles working.
- Slowly push through your butt and bend your knees until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Keep your back straight at all times.
- Squat down as low as you can, then stand back up by squeezing your glutes and pressing through your heels.
- Continue the exercise for 10 repetitions.
Also read: 6 exercises to improve your squat
If you’re an absolute beginner, do chair squats instead. For this, stand in front of a chair and lower down until your hips touch the chair.
2. A dead bug
Dead bugs are one of the best exercises you can add to your full body workout at home. Suitable for beginners, this exercise is an effective way to strengthen your back and core muscles. It will also help you correct your posture if you sit all day and relieve lower back pain as well.
To do the dead bug:
- Lie faceup on an exercise mat with your arms extended straight toward the ceiling and your legs flat on a table. Your knees should be bent at a 90-degree angle and stacked properly on top of your hips.
- Now extend your left leg straight up while simultaneously raising your right arm. Keep your core muscles engaged and your butt squeezed the whole time.
- Return your leg and arm to the starting position, and repeat the exercise with your right leg and left arm.
- Hold the movement for 10 repetitions, switching sides after each repetition.
Also read: Exercises to do if you sit all day
3. Forearm plank
Your full body home workout plan should definitely include a forearm plank as this basic exercise offers some great full body benefits. Not only does a plank counteract the negative effects of sitting all day by strengthening and stabilizing your spine, but it also strengthens your shoulders, arms, legs, and hips all at once.
To make a forearm plank:
- Lie facedown on a mat or floor with your forearms in front of you and your elbows under your shoulders. Keep your palms on the ground.
- Engage your core muscles and tighten your abs as you slowly lift up onto your toes and elbows with your body weight evenly distributed between your elbows and toes. Press with your fingers for added support.
- Hold this position for as long as possible and make sure that your body is in a straight line from your shoulders to your heels.
4. Bicycle crunches
Bike crunches are one of the best full-body exercises at home that help strengthen your midsection and reduce side fat (love handles). This easy and effective exercise works wonders for improving overall coordination and flexibility in your body as well.
To perform abdominal exercises:
- Lie on your back on a mat and place your legs in a tabletop position. Place your hands behind your head by bending your elbows out to the side.
- Slowly press down to bring your left elbow to your right knee while simultaneously straightening your left leg.
- Release and go back to the beginning. Now move your right elbow toward your left knee and straighten your right leg.
- Repeat the exercise.
5. Gluteal bridge
The glute bridge is among the most effective full-body exercises at home that help increase your core stability, strengthen your glutes and build lower body strength so you can perform other advanced exercises with ease.
To do the gluteal bridge:
- Lie on your back on the mat with your knees bent, arms extended out to the sides, and feet flat on the floor.
- Now push through your feet and engage your core as you lift your hips off the floor until your butt is fully extended.
- Go as high as you can and squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement.
- Return to the start and repeat the exercise.
Total body workouts at home include both strength training and cardio exercises and are very convenient as you can do them anytime. They are incredibly good for burning calories and provide good results from short workouts alone. The best part is that you can work your way up gradually, as per your convenience and comfort.