The summer transfer window is approaching, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Abraham targeted by Man United, Arsenal
Arsenal and Manchester United could be set to compete for the England international’s signature Tammy Abraham this summer as they continue their search for a striker, Corriere dello Sport reveal.
The 24-year-old forward reportedly caught the eye of a number of clubs last season, having enjoyed an impressive campaign at AS Roma with 17 goals in 37 Serie A appearances, but it was the Gunners and Erik ten Hag’s United leading the race.
As Abraham joined the Giallorossi for around €40m from Chelsea last season, the Blues will have the first option to sign Abraham if they wish to bring him back to Stamford Bridge for €80m. However, any move could prove difficult, with indications that Abraham is happy in Italy and has no intention of leaving the Estadio Olimpico.
Abraham would have liked to work under Roma boss Jose Mourinho last season as he helped win the Europa Conference League title.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (USA)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
10.19 BST: Former Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva is set to return to Brazilian football and sign for Gremio as a free agent, sources have told ESPN Brazil.
The 35-year-old midfielder joined the Serie A side in 2017 after a successful spell at Anfield and is now ready to return to his native country after 15 years in Europe.
10.06 BST: AC Milan have made an approach to sign Marcello after leaving Real Madrid but the 34-year-old left-back is still considering his options, according to Diario AS.
The newspaper reports that the Serie A club are ready to pay Marcelo – who became Madrid’s most decorated player last season with 25 trophies, before his contract expires this month – 3 million euros per year after tax.
That’s half of what he was earning at the end of his 15-year spell at the Bernabeu, and the Brazilian defender is now looking for alternatives, including Marseille, while Milan decide whether or not to increase their offer.
09:44 BST: Besiktas are the latest club to show interest in the Real Madrid striker Luka JovicDiario AS report, although the Serbia international would prefer to move to Serie A, with Fiorentina being his priority destination.
Jovic, 24, has failed to integrate into Madrid since signing from Eintracht Frankfurt for €60m in 2019, scoring just three La Liga goals, but still has three years left on his contract at the Bernabéu.
According to AS, Besiktas considering offers for forwards Alexander Sorloth – who spent last season on loan at Real Sociedad from RB Leipzig – or Wout Weghorst from Burnley, and would consider loaning Jovic an alternative.
09.16 BST: Liverpool want to sign Inter Milan midfielder Nico Barelle and would be willing to use Naby Keita as part of the deal, says Calciomercato.
Barella, 25, is considered one of the best young midfielders in Europe and Inter are unwilling to let the Italy international go.
However, the club’s financial situation could force them to change big stars and adding Keita to the mix could bring the Nerazzurriasking price down.
08:46 BST: ICYMI – OL Reign announces the signing of the Olympic gold medalist Jordyn Huitema from Paris Saint-Germain for one year.
Huitema, 21, announced on Thursday that she was leaving PSG after three seasons and it had been widely reported that she would go to the National Women’s Football League.
The striker’s contract also includes an option to extend his contract until the 2024 NWSL season.
“I look forward to this new chapter and this opportunity with OL Reign. This team is filled with some of the most talented players in the world and I am honored to be part of it,” Huitema said in a statement. . “I can’t wait to get started and I can’t wait to contribute to the success of the team.”
08:30 BST: ICYMI – Bayern Munich have reached an agreement to sign Sadio Mane from Liverpool and end his six-year spell at Anfield, sources have told ESPN.
The Senegal international’s future at Liverpool has been in serious doubt since striker Darwin Nunez joined the Premier League side from Benfica in a club-record deal worth up to 100 million euros.
A person familiar with the matter said on Friday that Liverpool had agreed a fee with the Bundesliga champions for a total fee of €41million.
Julien Laurens and Gemma Soler explain why Frenkie de Jong’s move to Manchester United makes a lot of sense.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Adam Brown)
– Manchester United are preparing to make a fresh offer to Barcelona next week as they seek to strike a deal for Frankie de Jongaccording fabrice romano. United boss Ten Hag has reportedly made the 25-year-old midfielder a key target this summer, and the Blaugrana could be ready to move him for around €85m as they look to raise funds to bring in reinforcements in other areas of the squad.
– Celtic and Udinese set to clash for Metz star Amadou Mbengue, writes Foot Mercato. The 20-year-old midfielder attracted a lot of interest in January from the Bundesliga but now it looks like more clubs across Europe will join the race for his signature. Mbengue is set to become a free agent on June 30, having yet to agree new terms with Garnets.
– Mario Gotze appears set to return to the Bundesliga with reports suggesting he is closing in on a move to Eintracht Frankfurt, according to Sports1. Talks are expected to take place next week with the 30-year-old PSV Eindhoven striker reportedly choosing the Europa League champions as his next destination. Gotze is also on Benfica’s radar.
– Liverpool are interested in signing Marco Asensio, according to Sports. Despite recent reports suggesting the Reds concluded their transfer business this summer, the report says Jurgen Klopp has identified Asensio as a target. The 26-year-old attacking midfielder made 31 appearances for Real Madrid in La Liga last season, scoring 10 goals.
– River Plate will resume talks with Atletico Junior as they seek to complete a move for Michael Borjaaccording Sierra Blowjob. It is reported that the Colombian club could be persuaded to allow the 29-year-old striker to leave for the right price, with River preparing to make a bid next week. The Colombia international scored eight goals in 11 La Liga Dimayor regular season games, and he has since netted twice in six games during the playoffs.