The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumors, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Can Barca sign Silva, keep De Jong?
Barcelona consider signing Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva whether or not Frankie de Jong sheets, according to Diario Sport.
Barça have spent more than 150 million euros this summer on Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha and Jules Koundewhile Andreas christensen and Frank Kessie arrived on free transfers. However, the BlaugranaThe widely reported financial troubles have put them in a race against time to be able to register all their new signings for the start of La Liga next weekend.
Nevertheless, Diario Sport claim that De Jong’s departure isn’t essential to bring Silva in, although it would require another fundraising effort from the club.
Barca have already executed three operations – described as financial levers by president Joan Laporta – to raise funds for their incoming players. A source has confirmed to ESPN that Barca’s finance team knew for several days that a fourth financial lever was needed.
Barcelona’s ideal scenario for De Jong remains for the former Ajax midfielder to leave or take a pay cut if he stays. De Jong wants to stay at Barcelona despite interest from Manchester United and Chelsea, and has no intention of lowering his salary.
As for Silva, City manager Pep Guardiola said earlier this week of the Portugal international: “I want the players to be happy. Of course I want Bernardo to be here but I don’t know what what’s going to happen, honestly I don’t know”. you know.”
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
10:30 a.m. BST: Sport Bild journalist Christian Falk says Bayern Munich have not received any transfer offers for Leroy Sane of Manchester United, and that the Bundesliga champions want him to stay.
Sane, 26, was only named as a substitute for Bayern’s 6-1 Matchday 1 win at Eintracht Frankfurt on Friday night, and a Daily Mirror report on Saturday said United were hoping to bring the striker back in Manchester.
The Germany international made a name for himself at Manchester City, spending four years at the club and winning the Premier League title twice. He joined Bayern two years ago in a deal worth up to €60m.
— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) August 7, 2022
09:42 BST: How about a little Frankie de Jong go around? As usual, there are a few updates in the media on what appears to be an endless saga!
Firstly, in Sport, a report indicates that Chelsea will try to include Marcos Alonso as a counterbalance in a deal that would take the Dutch midfielder to London. It seems strange because Alonso agreed the terms with Barca a long time ago, so there’s always been talk about how the transfer is actually structured. De Jong deal or not, the 31-year-old is still expected to travel to Camp Nou.
“He asked us to leave and we reached an agreement,” Tuchel said of Alonso on Saturday night after their win at Everton. “It wouldn’t make much sense to have him on the pitch today.”
Second, we go to the Sunday Express. The newspaper says Manchester United are also ready to throw a player into the mix, namely Donny van de Beek. Whether Barca would want Van de Beek is definitely up for discussion. Seems… unlikely.
And finally to Goal, who report that United could turn their attention to the Napoli star Fabien Ruiz if their interest in De Jong doesn’t pan out.
09:00 BST: Former Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who signed for Serie B side Como last week, says he hopes Lionel Messi again playing for Barcelona before retiring.
Messi, 35, scored two late goals in Paris Saint-Germain’s 5-0 win over Clermont Foot on Saturday night as he started his second season with the capital club.
Last month, Barca presenter Joan Laporta said Messi’s ‘chapter’ at the club was ‘not over’ and saw it as his responsibility to ensure the striker has a ” finest end” at Camp Nou. And now Fabregas has said he hopes it’s as a player.
“As a Barcelona fan, I hope and wish that Messi comes back to Barcelona,” Fabregas said. “He has one year left on his contract in Paris. I would love for him to come back. It’s a dream that the club and all the fans have, but I speak to you as a Barcelona fan.”
– Fabregas: London, Barcelona, Monaco and now Lake Como
– Callum Hudson-Odoi could leave Chelsea in search of more playing time, reports fabrice romano, with the academy graduate not even included on the bench in the club’s win over Everton on Saturday. Southampton are pushing to sign him on loan while Leicester City have also been discussed, with the final decision resting with the player himself.
– West Ham United are exploring the possibility of signing a free agent Dan-Axel Zagadou, says The Sun. AS Roma and Internazionale have also considered offering the centre-back a contract since his move to Borussia Dortmund ended in the summer.
– Over 20 clubs across Europe have made offers to take the Manchester United winger Alejandro Garnacho on loan, according to The Mirror. The Red Devils are yet to decide whether to let the 18-year-old leave temporarily to gain first-team experience or deal with his development at the club and bring in a potential loan move in January.
– Feyenoord centre-back Marcos Senesi will fly tomorrow to England to sign a contract with AFC Bournemouth, reports Fabrizio Romano, who adds that the transfer is worth 15 million euros plus add-ons for the Dutch club and that the contract will last for four years. It comes as another boost for Scott Parker after the Cherries marked their return to the Premier League with a 2-0 win over Aston Villa.
– Juventus have problems offloading Daniele Rugani due to the centre-back’s demands, according to Calciomercato. He wants €3m a year and stay in Italy, which is proving problematic as Galatasaray are the only club to have offered those salaries so far. Sampdoria would offer 1.5 million euros and ask Juventus to pay the other half.