USMNT vs. Grenada
2022-23 Concacaf Nations League Group Stage Match 1
June 10, 2022
Stage Q2; Austin, TX
Pre-game coverage: 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Kickoff: 10 p.m. ET on ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and instagram; American football on Facebook The American football app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI against Grenada: 1-Matt Turner, 5-Antonee Robinson, 7-Paul Arriola, 8-Weston McKennie (captain), 9-Jesús Ferreira, 13-Jordan Morris, 14-Luca de la Torre, 15-Aaron Long, 20-Cameron Carter – Vickers, 22-Reggie Cannon, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Subs: 12-Sean Johnson, 18-Ethan Horvath, 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 4-Joe Scally, 6-Yunus Musah, 10-Cristian Roldan, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 16-George Bello, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Haji Wright, 21-Tim Weah
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT GRENADA
- USMNT starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Kellyn Acosta (52), Jordan Morris (47), Paul Arriola (46), Weston McKennie (34), Antonee Robinson (28), Reggie Cannon (26), Aaron Long (26), Matt Turner (18), Jesús Ferreira (12), Cameron Carter-Vickers (10), Luca de la Torre (10)
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers in official competition (including this match): Kellyn Acosta (33), Paul Arriola (31), Jordan Morris (27), Weston McKennie (19), Reggie Cannon (15), Antonee Robinson (15) , Matt Turner (15), Aaron Long (11), Jesús Ferreira (7), Luca de la Torre (5), Cameron Carter-Vickers (1)
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League starting XI pick numbers (including this match): Weston McKennie (7), Paul Arriola (5), Jordan Morris (5), Reggie Cannon (5), Aaron Long (4), Kellyn Acosta (3), Antonee Robinson (2), Cameron Carter-Vickers (1), Luca de la Torre (1), Jesús Ferreira (1), Matt Turner (1)
- Tonight’s starting XI has an average age of 25 years and 235 days.
- The USMNT roster averages 27 caps and 15 appearances in official competition.
- Gregg Berhalter makes eight changes to the USMNT roster that started Sunday’s draw against Uruguay, with defender Aaron Long, midfielder Weston McKennie and striker Jesús Ferreira as survivors.
- Forward Jordan Morris and midfielder Kellyn Acosta are making their first appearances of the June window.
- Jordan Morris led all American players with four assists and tied for the team lead with Weston McKennie with four goals in the 2019-21 Concacaf Nations League.
- Weston McKennie captains the USMNT for the third time tonight and the first time since the 2-1 loss to Switzerland on May 30, 2021. McKennie is the only American player to appear in all six games of the 2019-21 CNL .
- Goaltender Matt Turner returns between the sticks in his third appearance for the USMNT at Austin’s Q2 Stadium. Turner earned Budweiser man of the match honors for his three-save performance in the United States’ 1-0 win over Qatar in last year’s Gold Cup semi-final on July 29. 2021. He kept another clean sheet in the team’s 2-0 win over Jamaica in 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers on October 7, 2021.
- make sound 10e appearance tonight, central defender Cameron Carter-Vickers earns his first cap in official competition.
- The duo of Cameron Carter-Vickers and Aaron Long is the 20e different pairs of center backs under USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter.
- Also making his 10e appearance tonight, Luca de la Torre earns his third start for the USMNT.
- Ready to turn 24e birthday on Saturday, right-back Reggie Cannon gets his second June Camp start tonight. Cannon also started in the 3-0 win over Morocco on June 1 in Cincinnati.
- Five players with Texas State ties will start for the United States tonight. Kellyn Acosta (Plano, Texas), Reggie Cannon (Grapevine, Texas) and Jesús Ferreira (McKinney, Texas) are all products of FC Dallas Academy who later played for the club’s first team. Weston McKennie (Little Elm, Texas) also played for FC Dallas Academy before signing with German Bundesliga side Schalke in 2016, while forward Paul Arriola joined the club earlier this season.
- With squads limited to dressing 23 players, defender Erik Palmer-Brown (hamstring pain), midfielder Tyler Adams (coach’s decision) and forward Christian Pulisic (coach’s decision) won’t are not part of tonight’s team. Teams are allowed to make five substitutions at three different times.
- The United States are 3-0-0 against Grenada. The teams played a home-and-away series in the preliminary round of 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifying, with the United States winning 3-0 on June 13, 2004 in Columbus, Ohio, before earning a 3 -2 on the road on June 20. 2004 at St. George’s Grenada. The last encounter was in the opening match of the 2009 Concacaf Gold Cup, with the United States claiming a 4-0 win on July 4 in Seattle.
- The USMNT is 2-0-0 all-time at Q2 Stadium in Austin. The team earned a 1-0 win over Qatar in the Concacaf Gold Cup semi-final on July 29, 2021 and a 2-0 win over Jamaica in FIFA World Cup qualifying 2022 on October 7, 2021.
- Hector Said Martinez of Honduras is the referee for today’s match. He has already refereed four USMNT matches: 0-0 draw against Bosnia and Herzegovina (January 28, 2018; friendly match), 6-0 victory against Trinidad and Tobago (June 22, 2019; Concacaf Gold Cup), 7-0 win over Trinidad and Tobago (January 31, 2021; Friendly), 1-0 win over Haiti (July 11, 2021; Concacaf Gold Cup).