The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: Man City turn to Guerreiro
Manchester City are set to change course in their search for a left-back after failing to agree a transfer fee with Brighton & Hove Albion for Marc Cucurella.
Sources have told ESPN that Man City will not pay the Seagulls’ asking price of £50million for Barcelona’s youth product and are actively looking for alternatives.
The Athletic reports that the Borussia Dortmund star Raphael Guerreiro, a target they were previously linked with due to his ability to contribute high on the pitch, has been elevated to Man City’s shortlist. The 28-year-old contributed eight goals in 23 Bundesliga and Champions League starts for BVB last season, and he also impressed representing Portugal at international level.
After moving Oleksandr Zinchenko to Arsenal, City are set to step up their transfer efforts next week, hoping to land a replacement before their Premier League campaign begins on Sunday against West Ham United.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
10:41 a.m. BST: Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino insisted he wanted to stay at the club.
Firmino, 30, has one year left on his contract and has been linked with a move to Juventus.
“I love this team, this city and the fans,” he told TNT Sports in Brazil. “I’m here. I want to stay of course.”
10:00 BST: Cesc Fabregas will be unveiled by Serie B club Como this afternoon. The veteran midfielder spent the last three seasons at Monaco in Ligue 1 and is a free agent. Fabregas, 35, has refused to join Spanish second division club Las Palmas and is said to have agreed a two-year contract with Como. The Italian club have reportedly convinced the former Arsenal and Chelsea star to join them by including in the offer the chance to coach the club once his playing career is over.
09.20 BST: Lionel Messi wished his good friend Luis Suarez good luck in his new chapter of his career.
Suarez was unveiled at the Nacional on Sunday, the club where the veteran striker made his debut as a professional footballer 17 years earlier. Thousands of fans descended on the Gran Parque Central de Nacional stadium in Montevideo to welcome the former Liverpool and Barcelona star.
— National (@Nacional) July 31, 2022
Messi, who played with Suarez at Barcelona, said in a video published by Nacional: “You are here. I want to give you a big hug and wish you the best in this stage. I know how important it is to to be there, to go home, to go back to live in your country after so long, to prepare for the World Cup. I wish you the best.”
Sir you salute 👋🏼😄
— National (@Nacional) July 31, 2022
Suarez, 35, who joined Nacional until the end of the year as a free agent after two seasons at Atletico Madrid, said during his official presentation: “To all the Uruguayan people, all First of all thank you because I am here because of I know there is no place I would be happier than here I came here to win and fight for all the titles. is a great club and I’m convinced that if we do things the right way, we can win all the remaining titles.”
08:44 BST: Sport reports that RB Leipzig Angelino could become a transfer target for Barcelona.
The 25-year-old has been at Leipzig since 2020, having joined German club Manchester City, but appears surplus with David Raum having been signed from Hoffenheim.
Angelino has reportedly been offered both on a permanent deal or on loan, with a return to Spain his preferred destination. The left-back/midfielder was born in Spain and came through Deportivo La Coruña’s youth system, and also had loan spells at Girona and Mallorca.
08:00 GMT: Everton push to bring Idrissa Gueye back from Paris Saint-Germain on a permanent basis.
Gueye, 32, left Goodison Park for Ligue 1 three years ago in a £30million deal and has made 111 appearances for PSG.
The Times report that Gueye has one year left on his contract and is no longer needed by the French champions.
– Several Serie A clubs are planning to move for Miralem Pjanic, writes Sports. Juventus, Napoli and Lazio are all said to be interested in the 32-year-old midfielder, but if Barcelona are keen to let him go, it’s understood that Pjanic’s preference is to stay at Camp Nou this season. the old Bianconeri The star spent last season on loan at Besiktas but is still under contract with Barca until next summer.
– Aston Villa faces a race to sign Alfons Samstedrevealed Ekrem Konour. The 24-year-old right-back Bodo/Glimt is said to be on the radar of clubs across Europe, with Bayer Leverkusen, Lyon and Lazio all keen to secure his services. The Iceland international has been in fine form this season and scored in his club’s recent Champions League qualifier win over Linfield.
– Brendan Rodgers does not intend to allow Wesley Fofana leaving this summer, according to a BBC Leicester reporter Owynn Palmer-Atkin. The Leicester City boss sees the 21-year-old centre-back as a key part of the Foxes squad next season and will look to keep him at the King Power Stadium despite reported interest from Chelsea.
– Chelsea are studying the possibility of making a move for the Internazionale defender Milan Skriniarincludes Sport Italia journalist Rudy Galetti. The Blues are continuing their search for a centre-back after missing out on Jules Kounde, but they may have to challenge Paris Saint-Germain for the 27-year-old Slovakia international, with the Ligue 1 champions also keen on his services. The Nerazzurri are seeking a fee in excess of £60million to part ways with the defender.
– Manchester United considering move for Stuttgart striker Sasa Kalajdzic, reports the Daily Mail. With the Red Devils struggling to persuade Cristiano Ronaldo to stay at Old Trafford following his early departure in the club’s pre-season friendly against Rayo Vallecano, the search for a striker is set to intensify next week. Kalajdzic, 25, contributed to 21 goals in 33 Bundesliga appearances last season, and has also been on Bayern Munich’s radar.